A new Kiwi-made alternative protein is the latest addition to HELL’s menu, catering to the growing number of New Zealanders eating less meat – a plant-based chorizo.
HELL recently surveyed its customers on their diet and food preferences and found 24% ate less meat in 2019 and plan to eat less in 2020, and 41% of meat-eaters say they’re eating less than 12 months ago.
Ben Cumming, CEO of HELL, says what’s surprising is the reasons why.
“Nutritional and health concerns are a leading factor in people eating less meat. Environmental and animal welfare concerns are also important, but overall health benefits drive decision-making - plus they want it to taste good,” says Ben Cumming.
Building on the success of Burger Pizza in 2019, a plant-based Chorizo, made in New Zealand by The Craft Meat Co using natural ingredients, is the latest addition to HELL’s expanding plant-based menu.
The new plant-based Chorizo is a clean alternative protein and carries a low water footprint. The global average water footprint of beef is 15400 litre/kg. The equivalent plant-based kg would be 1078 litres, basically 7% water footprint compared to an animal-based source.
So what’s in the new Plant-Based Chorizo?
Hemp - actually deserves the super food title.
- Hemp seeds are a complete source of protein, meaning that they provide all nine essential amino acids, such as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is an omega-3.
- Hemp seed is a good source of fibre and promotes the health of the gut.
- Hemp contains an impressive array of vitamins and minerals and compounds in the seeds may have neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, effects and may also help to regulate the immune system.
- Pea protein powder is a supplement made by extracting protein from yellow peas. It’s typically used to increase the protein content and/or texture of food, is a great fit for almost any diet since it’s naturally vegan and hypoallergenic.
- Pea protein is a high-quality protein and a great source of iron. It can aid muscle growth, weight loss and heart health. Pea protein is a good option for increasing protein intake and boosting feelings of fullness after meals. This may reduce overall calorie intake and lead to gradual weight loss over time.
The rest of the ingredients are all geared towards delivering improved nutritional/health benefits from completely natural plant-based sources.
- High in Dietary Fibre
- Low saturated fat
- No Cholesterol
- Hormone free
- Antibiotic free
Full Ingredients List:
Water, Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Flour), Canola Oil, Coconut Oil, Pea Protein, Yeast Extract, Methylcellulose , Onion, Potato Starch, Sunflower Oil, Hemp Protein, Corn Syrup, Garlic, Maltodextrin, Sugar Cane Fibre, Mushrooms, Cultured Dextrose, Salt, Chipotle Pepper, Thyme, Beetroot.
The Future of Pizza
HELL is the only major food brand to offer 100% free range pizzas (since 2015), and the majority of our customers enjoy meat on their pizza. But with the ever-increasing focus on climate change, plant-based proteins are growing in popularity with demand increasing exponentially. HELL is leading the way with sustainable offerings (e.g. we first started selling vegan pizzas in 2001) - we do not expect customers to eat plant based just for the sake of it - it has to taste good too.
Our number 1 selling pizza is Lust, and we do not think we have much chance of completely converting a Lust buyer, but we are taking the 'baby steps' approach and in future aim to be able to sub out any meat for a plant based alternative – so customers can chose their level of meat consumption without sacrificing satisfaction, nutrition, or taste.